This Policy applies to Citiplan Pty Ltd ACN 062 091 169 (referred to as ‘Citiplan’, ‘we’, ‘our’, ‘us’) and extends to and covers all operations and functions of those organisations.
This Policy outlines Citiplan’s obligations to manage and protect personal information. Citiplan is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (‘APPs’) and the Privacy Act 1988 (‘Privacy Act’). This Policy also outlines Citiplan’s practices, procedures and systems that ensure compliance with the Privacy Act and the APPs.
- ‘Disclosing’ information means providing information to persons outside Citiplan;
- ‘Individual’ means any persons whose personal information we collect, use or disclose;
- ‘Personal information’ means information or an opinion relating to an individual, which can be used to identify that individual;
- ‘Privacy Officer’ means the contact person within Citiplan for questions or complaints regarding Citiplan’s handling of personal information;
- ‘Sensitive information’ is personal information that includes information relating to a person’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion, trade union or other professional or trade association membership, sexual preferences and criminal record, and also includes health information; and
- ‘Use’ of information means use of information within Citiplan.
2. WHAT KIND OF PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT AND HOLD?
We may collect and hold the following kinds of personal information about you, including:
- phone numbers;
- email addresses;
- bank account details;
- drivers’ licence details; or
- any other information that is relevant to the services that we provide.
3. HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
We generally collect your personal information by the following methods:
- directly from applications, questionnaires and other forms you complete when you wish to use our services or apply for a position with us;
- from information disclosed to us by you on the phone, or by sending us correspondence (including letters, faxes and emails) or visiting us in person;
- from a variety of third party sources, including our business contacts, identity verification service providers, financial institutions, fund recipients, referrers or travel companies.
The above list is not exhaustive.
Citiplan will not collect sensitive information unless you have consented to the collection or an exemption under the APPs applies. These exceptions include if the collection is required or authorised by law or necessary to take appropriate action in relation to suspected unlawful activity or serious misconduct.
If the personal information we request is not provided by you, we may not be able to provide you with the benefit of our services, or meet your needs appropriately.
Citiplan does not give individuals the option of dealing with them anonymously, or under a pseudonym. This is because it is impractical, and in some circumstances illegal, for Citiplan to deal with individuals who are not identified.
4. UNSOLICITED PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may receive personal information about you when we have taken no active steps to collect that information. This is known as ‘unsolicited’ personal information. Citiplan’s employees are required to notify the Privacy Officer of all unsolicited personal information received by them. We destroy all unsolicited personal information, unless the personal information is relevant to Citiplan’s purposes for collecting personal information.
5. WHO DO WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT?
The personal information we may collect and hold includes (but is not limited to) personal information about:-
- potential clients;
- service providers or suppliers;
- prospective employees, employees and contractors; and
- other third parties with whom we come into contact.
6. WEBSITE COLLECTION
7. WHY DOES CITIPLAN COLLECT AND HOLD PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may use and disclose the information we collect about you for the following purposes:
- to assist Citiplan in providing a product or service to you;
- completion of documentation and forms;
- to consider and assess your request for a product or service;
- to provide you with information about a product or service and invite you to marketing events;
- to protect our business and other clients from fraudulent or unlawful activity;
- to conduct our business and perform other management and administration tasks;
- to consider any concerns or complaints an individual may have;
- to manage any legal actions involving Citiplan;
- to comply with relevant laws, regulations and other legal obligations; and
- to help us improve the products and services offered to our clients, and to enhance our overall business.
8. HOW MIGHT WE USE AND DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Citiplan may use and disclose personal information for the primary purposes for which it is collected, for reasonably expected secondary purposes which are related to the primary purpose and in other circumstances authorised by the Privacy Act.
We use and disclose personal information for the purposes outlined in section 7 above. Sensitive information will be used and disclosed only for the purpose for which it was provided or a directly related secondary purpose, unless the individual agrees otherwise, or where certain other limited circumstances apply (e.g. if required by law).
We engage other people to perform services for us, which may involve that person handling personal information we hold. In these situations, we prohibit that person from using personal information about you except for the specific purpose for which we supply it. We prohibit that person from using your information for the purposes of direct marketing their products or services.
In relation to sensitive information held by us, wherever possible, Citiplan will attempt to de-identify the information. We also undertake to take reasonable steps to delete all personal information about you when it is no longer needed.
9. WHO MIGHT WE DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION TO?
We may disclose personal information to:
- a related entity of Citiplan;
- an agent, contractor or service provider we engage to carry out our functions and activities, such as our lawyers, accountants, debt collectors or other advisors;
- organisations involved in a transfer or sale of all or part of our assets or business;
- organisations involved in managing payments, including payment merchants and other financial institutions such as banks;
- regulatory bodies, government agencies, law enforcement bodies and courts; and
- anyone else to whom the individual authorises us to disclose it or is required by law.
We may also collect personal information from these organisations and individuals, and will deal with that information in accordance with this Policy.
10. SENDING INFORMATION OVERSEAS
We will not send personal information to recipients outside of Australia unless:
- we have taken reasonable steps to ensure that the recipient does not breach the Act and the APPs;
- the recipient is subject to an information privacy scheme similar to the Privacy Act; or
- the individual has consented to the disclosure
11. MANAGEMENT OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Citiplan recognises how important the security of personal information is to clients. We will at all times seek to ensure that the personal information we collect and hold is protected from inference, misuse or loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Citiplan employees must respect the confidentiality of the personal information we collect.
Personal information is generally held in client files. Information may also be held in a computer database. All paper files are stored in secure areas. Computer-based information is protected through the use of access passwords.
In relation to our computer-based information, we apply the following guidelines:
- data ownership is clearly defined within Citiplan;
- passwords are routinely checked;
- we change employees’ access capabilities when they are assigned to a new position;
- employees have restricted access to certain sections of the system;
- the system automatically logs and reviews all unauthorised access attempts;
- the system automatically limits the amount of personal information appearing on any one screen;
- unauthorised employees are barred from updating and editing personal information;
- all personal computers which contain personal information are secured, physically and electronically;
- data is encrypted during transmission over the network;
- print reporting of data containing personal information is limited;
- Citiplan has created procedures for the disposal of personal information; and
- personal information is overwritten to the extent possible when the information is no longer required.
Citiplan performs all employment procedures, including application and termination processes, in a confidential manner. All individual job attributes, such as classification information and salaries, are confidential.
Where we no longer require the personal information for a permitted purpose under the APPs, we will take reasonable steps to destroy it.
12. DIRECT MARKETING
Citiplan does not use personal information for the purposes of direct marketing, unless:
- the personal information does not include sensitive information; and
- you would reasonably expect us to use or disclose the information for the purpose of direct marketing; and
- we provide a simple way of opting out of direct marketing; and
- you have not requested to opt out of receiving direct marketing from us.
If you would not reasonably expect us to use or disclose the information for the purpose of direct marketing, we may only use or disclose that information for direct marketing if you have consented to the use or disclosure of the information for direct marketing or it is impracticable to obtain that consent.
In relation to sensitive information, Citiplan may only use or disclose sensitive information about an individual for the purpose of direct marketing if you have consented to the use or disclosure of the information for that purpose.
You have the right to request to opt out of direct marketing and we must give effect to the request within a reasonable period of time.
You may also request that Citiplan provides them with the source of your information. If such a request is made, Citiplan must notify you of the source of the information free of charge within a reasonable period of time.
We will not use identifiers assigned by the Government, such as a tax file number, Medicare number or provider number, for our own file recording purposes, unless one of the exemptions in the Privacy Act applies. Citiplan endeavours to avoid data-matching, being the comparison of data collected and held for two or more separate purposes in order to identify common features in relation to individuals, as a basis for further investigation or action in relation to those individuals.
14. HOW DO WE KEEP PERSONAL INFORMATION ACCURATE AND UP-TO-DATE?
Citiplan is committed to ensuring that the personal information it collects, uses and discloses is relevant, accurate, complete and up-to-date.
We encourage you to contact us to update any personal information we hold about you. If we correct information that has previously been disclosed to another entity, we will notify the other entity within a reasonable period of the correction. Where we are satisfied information is inaccurate, we will take reasonable steps to correct the information within 30 days, unless you agree otherwise. We do not charge you for correcting the information.
15. ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
Subject to the exceptions set out in the Privacy Act, you may gain access to the personal information that we hold about you by contacting the Citiplan Privacy Officer. We will provide access within 30 days of the individual’s request. If we refuse to provide the information, we will provide reasons for the refusal.
We will require identity verification and specification of what information is required. An administrative fee for search and photocopying costs may be charged for providing access.
16. UPDATES TO THIS POLICY
This Policy will be reviewed from time to time to take account of new laws and technology, and changes to our operations and the business environment.
18. PRIVACY TRAINING
19. NON-COMPLIANCE AND DISCIPLINARY ACTIONS
20. INCIDENTS/COMPLAINTS HANDLING
Citiplan has an effective complaint handling process in place to manage privacy risks and issues.
The complaints handling process involves:
- identifying (and addressing) any systemic/ongoing compliance problems;
- increasing consumer confidence in Citiplan’s privacy procedures; and
- helping to build and preserve Citiplan’s reputation and business.
You can make a complaint to Citiplan about the treatment or handling of your personal information by lodging a complaint with the Privacy Officer.
21. CONTRACTUAL ARRANGEMENTS WITH THIRD PARTIES
Third parties will be required to implement policies in relation to the management of an individual’s personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act. These policies include:
- regulating the collection, use and disclosure of personal and sensitive information;
- de-identifying personal and sensitive information wherever possible;
- ensuring that personal and sensitive information is kept securely, with access to it only by authorised employees or agents of the third parties; and
- ensuring that the personal and sensitive information is only disclosed to organisations which are approved by Citiplan.
22. INQUIRIES AND COMPLAINTS
If you have any questions about our privacy procedures, or if wish to make a complaint about how we have dealt with your personal information, you may lodge a complaint with us in any of the following ways:
- by telephoning – +61 3 9592 0344
- by emailing – firstname.lastname@example.org
23. WHAT IF I AM NOT SATISFIED WITH THE RESPONSE?
If you are not satisfied with the result of your complaint to Citiplan you can also refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
You can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner:
- by telephoning – 1300 363 992
- by writing to – Director of Complaints, Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, GPO Box 5218, SYDNEY NSW 2001
- by emailing – email@example.com